If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (920) 832-1110

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Candle Safety

1/9/2020 (Permalink)

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching.  Many people will burn candles for the holiday.  Candles can create a romantic and relaxing atmosphere while producing a pleasing scent.  But when used improperly, candles can cause house fires.  According to the National Fire Protection Association, approximately 8,200 home fires are started each year by candles. 

According to the National Candle Association here are some candle safety basics:

  • Before burning, trim the candle wick to ¼ inch in order to prevent a flame from being too large
  • Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room and avoid drafts/vents
  • Never leave a candle unattended
  • Never place a candle near or on anything that can catch fire
  • Use a candle snuffer to extinguish the flame (never use water)
  • Do not move a candle until it is completely cooled

The best way to prevent house fires caused by candles is to not use candles at all. Here are some alternatives to candles that can help create that desired atmosphere and scent without the danger of a flame:

  • Essential Oil Diffuser
  • Battery-Powered Candles
  • Candle Warmers

But if you do experience smoke or fire damage as the result of a burning candle, our experts at SERVPRO of Appleton & Winnebago County are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help restore your property. 

Other News

View Recent Posts